4.05.2011

You Can Tell It's Springtime!

Longer days, blooms and buds appearing, farmer's markets re-opening, and...asparagus! I just love the chance to play outside longer with my little sprouts and teach them about plants and produce from the emerging flowers and markets.

However, I truly knew the season when I visited the farmers market at the University of South Carolina today...I purchased FRESH, just cut, LOCAL asparagus! Oh, the delight! I whole heartedly agree with Barbara Kingsolver's statement in one of my favorite books, Animal Vegetable Miracle, that she delights in the first asparagus and that is when she too knows spring has come. She even recalls scouting for wild asparagus as a child...something that really intrigues me. I would love to find out if we have wild asparagus in South Carolina.

What tells you it's spring? Have you visited your local farmer's market? What's in season?

If your in the greater Columbia SC area check out these two things:

Healthy Carolina Farmer's Market Every Tuesday from 10a-2p thru April 19th.

Lexington Farmer's Market Every 1st and 3rd Thursday 10a-2p thru September

This Thursday at 14 Carrot Whole Foods Holistic USC's Matthew Kip will talk about Wild SC Edibles from 11:30a-1p

No comments:

Post a Comment