4.19.2011

Turn off the TV and get outside!

I came across the Campaign for a Commercial Free Childhood and decided to give it a try with my sprouts during this week, Screen-free Week. Not that we watch much TV anyway but she does enjoy Sesame Street. What I didn't expect from this was re-discovering a childhood love of mine and seeing it in a new light because of the teaching opportunities it has granted me with my sprout. What am I talking about you may ask? Hopscotch! The un-ending energy of a two year old loves this game and the nostalgia in me does too! Plus, hopscotch is all things I love with my sprouts...being in nature, play without plastics, educational fun, and simple fun. While hopping from number to number we counted from one to ten in English and Spanish and worked on developing fine motor skills but all she knew was having fun mommy time!

There are lots of great tips and suggestions for low to no cost in Rebecca Cohen's book, Fifteen Minutes Outside: 365 Ways to Get Out of the House and Connect with your Kids for getting outside, having some quality parent/child time and enjoying the simple fun that nature can provide with the right imagination.



So turn off that TV, save the electricity, and connect with your sprouts and nature!

No comments:

Post a Comment