2.04.2011

You CAN save money on organics!


Today I went to Publix, coupon notebook in hand, for some great deals...some would have been even better if the items were a part of the B1G1 sale but we needed them and I had a coupon. I plan on going back for some great yogurt deals I saw but didn't print the coupon for yet...organic greek yogurt on sale?! not something I'm going to miss!
Before I share my savings, I would like to share a glimpse of my money saving tips for eco-food shopping and my families prespective on eating organically. I would say that about 85% of the grocery items we purchase are organic and/or local. We feel that not only is it a health conscience desision (did you know hormones in conventional milk are directly corrilated to earlier breast development in young girls?) but it treads lighter on the planet. We want to teach our children Biblical principals and that includes being good stewards of this earth (an important principle that we MUST return to). But...I digress...back to money saving!
The internet an amazing source for organic coupons, between sites like Mambo Sprouts and Organic Deals, and brand specific sites like the one's linked below, and even Facebook, options are everywhere! Plus, you can email many of the organic brands and they will mail you coupons for their products. Locally, we have a wonderful shop called 14 Carrot Whole Foods that carries two coupon booklets that come out about every two or three months (Healthy Clippings and Mambo Sprouts) and they are stocked full of great manufacturer's coupons and best of all they are FREE! Also, while coupons for produce are rare finds 14 Carrot offers 30% off all produce on Thursdays and Sundays from 1p until 530p (and it's all organic and/or local). It's a great deal and often makes produce less expensive than the convintional stuff.
So, now that you have an idea about where we get our coupons here's how I did on my quick stop at Publix:
Cape Cod Chips : 2/$5 ( $1 off of 2 from sunday paper)
Organic Russet Potatoes: $2.99 (sale price)
Cascadian Farms Fries, Raspberries and Cherries: $2.99 each
($1.00 off coupon for each from Healthy Clippings)
Apple & Eve Fruitable Juices: 2/$4
($.75 coupon off of 2 from A&E website)
Hartz dog biscuits: $2.99 ($2 off coupon from sunday paper)
Organic Valley Butter: $5.99 ($1.00 off from Organic Valley website)
Organic Eggs: $3.99 ($.50 off from sunday paper; publix doubles!)
Yeast packets: $1.49 ($.40 off coupon from sunday paper; publix doubles!)
Cream of Wheat: $3.59 ($1 off from sunday paper)
(not organic, let me know if you know a good sub because I have been hooked since childhood!)
Newman's Own Salsa: $2 (sale price)
Honest Kid's Juice Pouches (3): B1G1 @ $3.49
( 3 $.75 off from Honest Tea website, WOW only .99 cents each! )
Cost before coupons and sales: 54.16
Spent: 28.45
Saved: 25.71 (47% savings!)
By the way, the main deal I went for was the Honest Kid Pouches... you can't beat the price and they are a WONDERFUL product; I even take them in my lunch for work. They have 9g or less of sugar (that's right SUGAR not High Frutose Corn Syrup) and great fruity flavor! Grape is the favorite in our house; what will yours be? Give them a try and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment