Mardi Gras (shrove Tuesday, fat Tuesday, pancake Tuesday) is today, the day before Ash Wednesday which marks the beginning of the Lenten season. Parties and parades (as well as pancakes) have long been associated with this celebration; so what's a eco-parent to do? Celebrate of course!
1. Start the day off with organic, local pancakes (if your in the greater Columbia area check out Anson Mills!)
2. Create your own mardi gras beads by stringing colorful bottle caps on a string or get fancy with this recycled silk scarf necklace
3. Raid the recycling bin for a cereal box or two. Cut out mask shapes (be creative!) and let your sprout have a blast with paint, markers and any random craft items you may have (be sure to let these dry in time for #5!)
4. Cook and enjoy vegetarian gumbo & rice with your little sprouts (yummy recipe here)
5. End your day with a King cake (hide a berry or bit of chocolate in the cake instead of a plastic baby to avoid BPA, phthalates and neurontoxins)...the sprout with the surprise gets to lead the "parade of masks" to bed!
this calender for information!)